Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Occasional Daily Quirks

           The arrival of the internet coincided with the default of our phones.  One day Joe’s told him he had no service, and the next day mine did as well.  Since we got our phone number’s a day apart, Joe figured something was up (and we had just topped up so it couldn’t have been that) so we went into the store to try and figure it out.  The people at the store couldn’t figure it out.  It was saying that the accounts were active on their computers, and so eventually they put our SIM cards into one of the employees phones and lo and behold it worked.  He didn’t seem to understand why- just told us there was a problem with our phones- which Joe and I found suspicious, but then another employee (with the help of Google Translate- how people communicated without the internet is beyond me) told us that since our phones were registered on foreign passports, we could no longer use them in Turkey and that we would have to buy a Turkish phone.  This country has some funny rules.  They told us that even once our work visas arrive, we still couldn’t, but our boss said we can, so now we will wait and see what happens and hopefully it will all work out.  We still have internet at home and at the school, so we can still communicate, but it does make things a titch difficult. 
                 
              While I see that Vancouver has received some snow, it is merely taunting me from the mountaintops here, and December has rang in nice and wet, reminding me of home.  Other than that, it doesn’t feel like Christmas.  Most Turks don’t even know what day of the year Christmas is, often explaining that December 31 is ‘Turkish Christmas’, but as that is not a thing, both Joe and I have difficulties actually getting that point across.  The end of November coincided with St. Andrew’s Day, and some of Joe’s students are aware of Scottish pride and the conception of the kilt.  (How they know what a kilt is and not when Christmas is baffles me slightly, but continuing on)  Joe, ever being up for some sort of shock value, agreed to wear his kilt for the occasion.  I was mildly bemused by this concept, although I did inform him that if he chose to wear it on the bus, I would not be present for the occasion.  He agreed that the bus might not be a good choice, and instead carried it in and changed when he got to school.  Since we work at different schools during the day, I was not present for most of it, although when I asked him how it was going, he said that he had posed for a lot of photos, that his legs were very cold, and that while the women seemed to like it, the men didn’t seem to approve.  All of the other teachers felt the need to show me the pictures (as though I have never seen Joe in a kilt) and I nodded and listen to their amused takes on the day’s events.  Elif told me that it was a day the students would never forget, and since they will most likely never go to Scotland, she is probably right.
Joe and one of his students.

              
             I am still in the process of slowly learning Turkish- picking up words here and there and using the internet the rest of the time.  I kept hearing the word ayna, which I knew means ‘mirror’, but from the context, it simply didn’t make sense for people to be saying mirror all the time, so I figured it must have some other meaning, or I was hearing it wrong.  I did some more looking and found aynen which means ‘same’, but this still didn’t seem to fit with context, so I asked Elif and Mehmet one day when I heard it.  Elif said that it meant mirror, and I refuted her.  It can’t possibly mean mirror when I hear it this often.  They clued in that I was indeed hearing aynen (although I could swear they drop the final ‘n’ in spoken Turkish, because I had been listening intently for it.  I again refuted that it must mean something else, and fortunately (based on the amount I was hearing it and the amount people usually say ‘same’ in English.  Luckily, Mehmet clued in to what I was getting at and said that it can also mean, “I agree,” or the like.  We had a good laugh, as did some of my students who were there at the time, but it was nice to have one mystery solved in a language I am slowly beginning to understand.
                
             As one mystery was solved, another is ongoing.  I am used to living on the top floor of an apartment building, and here in Malatya is no different.  The main difference is that we have excruciatingly loud neighbours and we can’t figure out where they are coming from.  Most of the rooms don’t border any other apartments, but there is constant thumping and crying children and the like.  We have concluded that they must be our downstairs neighbours, but never having met them to see if they have children or not, (and knowing that our next door neighbours do) we have yet to determine if this is the cause.  It is not pleasant wherever they are coming from, that much we have determined.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment