Monday, February 2, 2015

A Rare Dinner Party

             There have been precious few times in the past couple of months where I have wished that Joe and I had working cell phones.  Usually the internet is sufficient enough that online communication is simple and as there are no dire circumstances that arise, imminent communication is rarely an issue.  However, Saturday night was one of those nights where a working cell phone would have come in extremely handy.
               
            Last week at coffee, we got to talking about English TV shows, and Mustafa was saying that he had a desire to watch the Wire. Since it is complete on my harddrive- along with a plethora of other English movies and shows- we offered to have him over and he could take whatever he wanted.  Since his wife works and he has to be around when his daughter gets home, he said that it would be easier if we came by his house.  I messaged him on Saturday morning and said we would stop by after we had eaten if that fit his schedule.  He vehemently protested this saying that we would eat at his house (it’s much easier to cave sometimes) and so I agreed.  I made it home after a long day, had a quick shower and then tried to finalize our plans, as there had been a slight miscommunication about what time Joe finished work and what time we were supposed to be at his house.  While I quickly downed a beer (which thank God was in the fridge) and messaged back and forth between Joe and Mustafa, our internet decided to crash.  This as I was waiting for a response from Joe and trying to get back to Mustafa, stressing me out and making me even more grateful for the aforementioned beer.  I managed to reset it, sent Joe a frantic message telling me to meet him at Mustafa’s (praying he would get it in time) and set out (leaving a note on the door just in case).  The lahmajun place closed at 7pm, and I only had a hunch as to what time Joe should be arriving in front of the building.  After saying a quick hello to his wife and daughter, and discussing how best to figure everything out, we decided that I would go wait at the bus stop and hope Joe saw me, and that Mustafa would go to the lahmajun place, and hopefully everything would work out.  To put an extremely stressful twenty minutes to an anticlimactic finish, Joe spotted me at the bus station, Mustafa got the food before it closed and we were happily warm inside his house not long after.    

              
             Joe had a pillow/toque fight with Mustafa’s seven year old daughter (her shrieking with laughter) and Mustafa and I occasionally taking part, while his wife got dinner together in the kitchen.  It feels very awkward not to help, and is a cultural norm I am definitely not used to yet.  We sat down to a delicious dinner and then after Sibel cleaned up (again I was not allowed to help and my Turkish is not good enough to insist) and a disgusting dessert of rice pudding (Turkish style) which I ate all of to be polite, we sat down to tea and Joe and I taught them how to play Yahtzee.  It was more difficult to explain than we would have imagined, but Mustafa tends to over-complicate things and they were sort of getting it by the end of the second game.  We spent the following hour telling Mustafa which shows to download, and watching clips of his favourite films (a process which was drawn out considerably longer than I would have liked) before heading home to bed in anticipation of another long day (for me at least) on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment