Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Moments With Students

Although we have a few disagreements with management about contract details (Joe finally sat down with them on Saturday to go through the whole contract, due to a discrepancy of opinions about an upcoming holiday.  We were supposed to go to Mt. Nemrut this week, but they need us to work.  Seeing as how money is a little tight- what with the joining of the gym- we agreed to work in exchange for an extra two days off whenever we want it, so we are quite pleased with the deal.) Turkish students truly are an enjoyable group of people to teach.  Of course you get the odd class here and there that are too shy to speak, or a few students here and there that are anti-social enough to make things slightly awkward, as a whole they are hard-workers who are very keen to learn English.
               
            I hesitate to write much about my students for confidentiality reasons, but since most of them are university students in their twenties, (thrown in with some teenagers and careered adults) they are also in my age bracket which makes teaching them very pleasant.  My students love to have me read off their names from the class registrar (mostly so they can laugh at my pronunciation, but I figure that is a fair trade off for me occasionally laughing at them) and Turkish students love to keep up a teasing banter within the classroom (both from me and to me) that allows for a more relaxed atmosphere which I am hoping makes them more comfortable to speak English.   Last week was a good week for making friends.  One of the local teachers, Elif, and I are becoming friends ( I hope).  
Coffees and Chocolates

             On Thursday, a few of my students (all girls in their early twenties) invited us (E and I) to go see a movie at the mall.  Naturally I said yes, although the movie in question (Transcendence) is not usually a movie I would pay to see, but making friends requires some sacrifices.  I met them at the mall an hour early and we had coffee (Turkish with a hint of caramel- delicious) and then bought chocolates and chocolate covered dried apricots (a delicious delicacy in Malatya), insisting I take them home for Joe to try.  They got two for one tickets at the cinema (refusing to let me pay) and then we took photos and selfies for half an hour (I never realized the cinema was so exciting, and it is a bit tedious to have your picture taken a thousand times when your nose resembles Rudolph’s and you can barely keep your eyes open.  The movie itself was decent (they cut the movie off halfway through for a ten minute break) although the first half was better than the second. 
                
           We went for dinner afterwards, although the cold had suppressed my appetite and I had already had a donair for lunch.  My limit on fast food for the day, so I had a tea while they ate from the food court and soup when I got home.  We parted ways after dinner, Elif and Pinar heading to the bus stop with me (unnecessary but sweet) and then I came home and collapsed.  It was the first time I have spent time with a big group of girls in ages, and it was a lot of fun.
                
More fall beauty
              Other than my students, you find pockets of English in unexpected places.  The weekends are insane- with classes back to back until 4pm- when I finally have time to grab a quick lunch before my last class.  This Saturday, I went to Kral Doner (so far my favourite doner shop in Malatya) and they recognized me (the perks of being one of the only two nonTurkish people in this city) and put in my order.  I was waiting when one of the cooks called me over and started asking me questions in English, and asking what I want on my doner (this has never happened before) and it was really surprising and really fun at the same time.  I felt a little guilty because my stereotypes of who speak English do not extend to fast food workers- but I am happy to have that stereotype blasted away!  I have also been getting to know Habib better, who runs the canteen upstairs.  Since he doesn’t speak English, I will go have tea with him and practice my Turkish.  The other teachers are always up for a conversation here and there and I recently started a class with a bunch of Afghani students who are planning to come by for tea during the week.  Joe is playing football with the male teachers on Sunday (I have been invited to ‘watch’) so he is getting some outside stimuli as well which is always a good thing.  Hopefully things will continue this way- it is nice making friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment